Whoa, guys stop the bus – can you believe that 2016 is nearly over? Even just the number 2017 makes me feel old. I’ll be honest, I’ve never been a ‘new year, new me’ kinda person and I think my only New Year’s Resolution has been to quit chocolate and, well… yeah. So I decided it was about time to set some goals for myself in 2017 because it’s about time I got my shit together (true story).
1. Ditch the ‘cup half empty’ outlook and adopt a more positive approach to life. It’s so easy to focus on the negative things, and if you’re anything like me you can turn a tiny little issue into a fully-blown catastrophe in your own mind (I swear it’s an art). 2017 is going to be all about the positive vibes. Let’s be real, i’m never gonna be that hippy who views the world through rose-tinted lenses but I can make a real effort to stop sweating the small stuff.
2. Be organised. Whether it be always having my lunches prepared the night before, or even just putting my shoes away when I come home it’s amazing how much better you feel when things are in their place. Not gonna lie, I’m naturally just an untidy person and admittedly a bit of a hoarder (as well as an avid online shopper) so there’s always clothes, hats, and makeup kicking around. As much as I jump on the defence when my boyfriend calls me unorganised as I rummage around looking for a specific blouse that’s lost under the accumulating floordrobe, I know he’s 100% right. A tidy and organised life is a happier one.
3. Give myself some slack. I’ll admit it – I feel way too guilty when I don’t make it to the gym or if I eat anything other than salad or soup. It’s my aim to enjoy that glass of wine, have that night or two away from the gym, and not freak out when I go out for dinner and everything on the menu is carb-tastic.
4. Work out regularly. This is something I already do, but sometimes for the wrong reasons. I find there’s nothing better than a Saturday morning sweat session at the gym when I’m not pressured for time like I am during the week. Instead of focusing on burning calories, I’m going to focus on exercising because it makes me feel fabby.
5. Spend sensibly. Ok, it’s no secret that I like to shop. My boyfriend often asks me “what do you do with your money?” I’m wearing it, duh. Being passionate about fashion and style means i’m constantly inspired to experiment and take risks, which sometimes means my bank account suffers. This year my goal is to re-work what I already own and make it current. Although, when you see that dream coat in store, you buy that dream coat.
So, in a nutshell I want to stop being a miserable cow, stop obsessing over calories, get in that endorphin-releasing cardio session, and stop spending all of my money on clothes (and food). What are your goals for 2o17?