(Photo credit: Pinterest)
Being on the shorter side of the scale (admittedly to the point that Petite jeans are still too long), I’ve had to experiment and compromise to find the right way to style and wear my clothes. Here’s a few every-day fashion hacks for those girls 5ft 3 and under that I swear by!
1. Turn your hems under. Up until a few years ago, I was absolutely fed up of having turn ups on my jeans, dress trousers, and even the sleeves of my coats until I eventually realised I could tuck the hems of my jeans under to trick people into thinking they weren’t a foot too long!
2. Wear that maxi dress! Ok, so I know that its not exactly a piece of cake finding a maxi dress or skirt that you don’t trip over every time you take a step but when you do – wear it! I’ve come across countless magazine articles and blog posts telling shorter girls to avoid maxi length clothing at all costs. IGNORE THIS. There are absolutely no rules, and I actually find ankle-skimming dresses to be flattering on all shapes and sizes.
3. Pointed shoes are your BFF. I may be slightly biased, being self-proclaimed pointed toe advocate. However, as well as making you feel grown up and sophisticated, stylists insist that pointed shoes elongate the legs – which I can definitely vouch for.
4. Bring your waistline up. High-waisted trousers and skirts give the illusion of longer legs (when you don’t have ’em, fake ’em!)
5. Be sophisticated. To avoid being mistaken for a 15 year old (which happens more often than I’d like), I tend to steer towards clean-cut shapes and neutral colours. A plain white or blue shirt don’t have to be boring if you look for modern shapes and pair with statement shoes or coats.
If you have any other tips and tricks for short girls like myself, please comment and share your secrets!